Dead snake found in food in community feast

Bhubaneswar: Residents of a remote village in Odisha’s Kendrapara district were left in horror after they stumbled upon a dead snake in the meal served to them in a community feast at the village temple.

“The incident occurred at Deuli village under Pattamundai police station jurisdiction yesterday night. About 50 people mostly women and children were hospitalized after they developed nausea and uneasiness. All of them recovered fast and are out of danger”, said medical officer, Pattamundai Sub Divisional Hospital, Chandra Sekhar Das.

The community feast was organized by a women self help group.

Dead snake was found during the washing of the utensils. The snake most probably was not poisonous one. We subjected them treatment for suspected food poisoning and administered intravenous fluid. All those admitted in the hospital responded well to the treatment and are being discharged from the hospital in a phased manner, he said.